Friday, January 11, 2008

My first informal post

Hi Everyone! This is Joe, and I am making my first informal blog post.
As said before, I am a pre-dental (biology/chemistry) major, and this is probably my last year undergraduate. If all goes well, I’ll be at Pitt Dental school next year.
Some of my interests definitely include music. I love playing the violin in orchestral or chamber settings, and I also really like listening to classical music. I guess that sounds really geeky, but it is something I grew up with and it will always be a part of me. So hopefully I will have a clear enough mind to really make connections with music in class.
I guess I want to start this by discussing something we talked about earlier in class. As we were talking about “technique,” the first thing that came to my mind was what is the definition of the word “technique.” When I hear “technique,” the first thing that comes to mind is a musician’s technique. It is only improved by much practicing and time, which is obvious. The one definition from dictionary.com states that it is “the manner and ability with which an artist, writer, dancer, athlete, or the like employs the technical skills of a particular art or field of endeavor.” What I am wondering about though is how is this definition of “technique” used to help define “technology” when the word is split into “techne” and “logos?” It doesn’t quite make sense to me to define technology as “the discourse of techniques.” Maybe I’m not thinking of it all the right way, but nonetheless I am curious about how all of you think of the word “technology.”
Now about the movie “Modern Times,” I thought all of the buildup at the end just for Charlie Chaplain’s voice was really quite dull. Maybe it was because I couldn’t even understand what the heck he was singing. Why would they make him sing in a different language when the rest of the movie was in English? That fact did not make much sense to me. Maybe it is because this really was the first Charlie Chaplain movie I have ever watched from the beginning to the end. In a way, I can imagine that if I were to be all excited to hear his voice for the first time, I would be in for a really big disappointment after hearing him sing in a foreign language. That is all my opinion anyways.
Sorry for posting a really random first informal post. Hopefully my thoughts will be more organized as we get deeper into the semester.

No comments: