Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Final Proposal: Kubrick Films

Stanley Kubrick is considered a lot by the book House of Leaves. Mainly by two of his prominent films; The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey. By watching the films 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Shining, I can understand better why Danielewski included these films in his book. I want to understand why he included the “Daisy, Daisy, Daisy” lyrics from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I want the readers to understand my views and how I understand the movies references in the book. I want to watch the movies and figure out the similarities and differences in the book and movies. I want to go even further by researching the films and finding out more about what Kubrick was trying to create when going about the films. The counter example would be that the films The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey does not have to do with the book House of Leaves at all. I want to show that there is a connection somehow. I have not seen the movies yet, but as I can tell from researching this the films are kind of like the book in a way of how it twists and turns.

2 comments:

KaraG said...

To go along the lines of my proposal, I want to explore why both of these movies are adaptions of a book and why Kubrick never actually wrote his own movies. I want to find out his ideology concerning this and maybe an anwser to why he never wrote a film. Hopefully this can connect to House of Leaves somehow. Also, I want to read the books concerning these movies because they are different than the movies. They might have to do something with the revisions of the Navidson Record and the revision of the novels into movies. I will try to find out if Danielewski is in someway profoundly influenced by Kubrick of King for that matter.

Adam Johns said...

This is interesting, especially after your revision. Writing a paper about what a careful reading/viewing of either film/book tells us about HOL itself is a good starting point; focusing in on the idea of adaptation itself is an even better one. After all, HOL is allegedly Johny's response to Zampano's response to Navidson's response to the reality of the house itself, right?

Maybe the least time-consuming way of beginning this is to view both *The Shining* and *2001*, then decide (at least temporarily) on *one* of the books - don't plan initially on reading both The Shining and 2001, in other words.

I tend to think that working with 2001 would help you think about the mystery of the house itself, whereas *The Shining* is maybe best suited to a psychology exploration, including of Johny.

Good ideas. Your next task is to find a narrower focus.