Monday, November 17, 2008

Interactive Fiction as a Final Project

For my final project I decided I want to do an interactive story that takes place inside Navidson’s house. I will let the user choose between 2-4 different main objects to take into the house, and due to that the house will change according to what they pick. I think this would work well as an interactive story because the house changes around the personality of whoever enters or whatever they are thinking, this is shown once when Karen is thinking about Navidson and he appears. I will use this to create a form of interactivity for the user.
To make this story I will use some sort of programming language that I have background in, most likely MatLab. In this program users will be given multiple choices and the program will change around what they choose to be there next step.

2 comments:

Kevin Hannan said...

For my final project I decided I want to do an interactive story that takes place inside Navidson’s house. I will let the user choose between 2-4 different main objects to take into the house, and due to that the house will change according to what they pick. The final objective for the user will also vary according to what they chose to take into the interior of the house with them. For example, if the user chooses to take a gun into the house they would have to explore and destroy the monster that they believe is following them through the house. I think this would work well as an interactive story because the house changes around the personality of whoever enters or whatever they are thinking, this is shown once when Karen is thinking about Navidson and he appears. I will use this to create a form of interactivity for the user.
To make this story I will either use some sort of programming language that I have background in, like Matlab, or I will use a given program online from the week we played Zork. In either of these programs users will be given multiple choices and the program will change around what they choose to be there next step.
I have not decided if I will follow the story as it goes in the book or create my own story depending on the items.

Adam Johns said...

Maybe I'm too easily drawn in by interactive fiction, and this certainly isn't an *easy* project, but I think the idea is a very good one. It's a way of taking one of the fundamental organizing ideas of the novel -- that the house varies depending on what we bring into it -- and making it work as gameplay. It's a smart, focused, and interesting idea.

Two people have done interactive fiction projects in this class before. One used BASIC, which was laborious. The other used INFORM (which I mention, or at least provide a link to, on the handout), a special purpose language for interactive fiction. That seemed to work out much better.

The things to keep in mind if you do this are
1) Budget some time for learning the basics of the language and forming your ideas
2) Be prepared to scale back your ideas somewhat. That won't effect your grade - I'll read the code as well as play the game, so I'll understand how much work you put into it.