Monday, March 10, 2008

Informal Blog

Jimmy Corrigan is the first comic book I have ever read, and to be honest I did not like it a lot. However, during the class last Thursday I realized how complex this comic is, and that I was not reading it correctly. I did not pay attention to details, whether there was a frame or not, and how that affected the story. The scene in the theater for me was just another bizarre nightmare that interrupted the linear narrative, which I was trying to follow. But now, I respect the time and effort put into this comic. Another thing I like about it is its theme. It is depressing and at times disturbing, but I feel it is closer to reality than usual stories about successful, blonde, tanned people with a happy ending. Jimmy Corrigan is not pleasant to read, but it provoked a reaction and it made me think, which art is supposed to do. I do not think I will become a comic reader any time soon, but from now on I will certainly respect this medium.

Even though, I do not read comics, I watch movies based on them and I would really like to know what a true comic fan thinks about these movies and whether or not they have destroyed the original idea of these comics.

3 comments:

Steev said...

Most of the frustration doesn't come with the destruction of the idea, but that often they tweak things a bit.

What would be worse, if something you really liked was totally re-done in a different way, but if it was almost perfect, but changed in subtle, sometimes important, ways?

Andrea said...

I thought I was the only one reading the blog over the spring break :)

Steev said...

...I heard 'comic books' and came running ;)