Monday, February 11, 2008

Assignment for Blog #6

Are we really this far along? It doesn't seem possible, but I guess that the hydromet syrup talking - when I take it, I can't think, and when I don't I seem to try to cough my lungs out. I gather some people take the stuff for fun, but I just can't see it as fun. Anyway, enough about me.

Option #1) Although I didn't get this far in class, I have argued in the past that The Connecticut Yankee could be classified as an "engineering narrative" - a work of art which is focused on understanding the work as a discrete set of problems open to engineering-style reasoning. Focusing on specifics of one "text" (Zork, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, etc), argue that it is an engineering narrative and define what, from your point of view, an engineering narrative is.

Option #2) Define both "interactivity"; a dictionary definition is fine, as is a more eccentric or personal definition. Use that definition to explore Cup of Death and/or Zork. Are they "interactive narratives" by your definition? Is an interactive narrative even possible, or is it a contraditio nin terms? What, if anything, does interactivity add to a narrative? In other words, you are focusing on the value or significance of interactivity, through one chosen text.

Option #3) Focusing on specific passages, use either Joy or Lyotard to respond to or analyze Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

No comments: