So I finished up the rough draft of my project and I uploaded it on RapidShare for everyone to download. It is a really small .exe file, about 61kb.
I chose to do a CYOA, but I changed it to CHOD (Choose your own Destiny), just to give it a little twist.
The storyline is a bit lame (I found it difficult to be creative!), but my goal was to give the CYOA series a bit more interactivity and randomness. I did this (and learned it all yesterday! Stayed up until 7am) all in QuickBasic. This is the first computer language I have ever learned, and it took me forever just to map the story. I know, QBasic is ancient and most of you have made RPG's with it when you were 10 or something.
Just to let you know what there is to increase the randomness and interactivity:
There eventually will be questions asked to the "reader." The amount of questions you get right determines the path of the story you will take.
There are events where A and B are equally likely to occur (50/50 chance). This gives the story the element of randomness, so every time you play, it is somewhat likely that you will not see the say storyline twice even if you choose to do the same actions, etc.
There are events where what you choose increases the probability of a certain event. So in these events, what you choose can strongly influence what happens, but the other event can still occur (but it is more unlikely).
Whenever some sort of probability is being used, you will see "Calculating . . . " flash on the screen for about 2 seconds.
Most of my time was spent on writing the text for the actual story, then a lot of time was spent on the story diagram, and then a considerable amount of time was spent on transferring the text into QBasic. I had all the text typed in Word, so I had to really do a lot to get it in QBasic. In a way, every line of text was manually copy pasted in with a "PRINT" heading.
I tried to make the story interesting by making it take place at PITT in the future. You are a female student (I originally wanted to have made it so you could choose your sex, but that did not quite work out as I wanted it to). There are more aspects of the story I put in in hopes of letting it expand later on. I plan on attaching an essay to this project in the end just to explain what went well, what didn't go well, why interactivity was increased, etc.
In this rough draft, there is about 50% of what I hope to have by the end of the project. I probably spent around 50 hours on this so far.
Well, here is the RapidShare link. If you follow the directions, it is quite easy to download it.
THANKS A LOT!